Weird oil leaking from electronics device?

Nate King EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 21 19:53:41 CEST 2011

is it sticky? does it smell? does it have a color?

I guess the first thing to think is what "should" be inside of a piece of
electronic equipment - 1) Deoxit - has anyone cleaned contacts recently? 2)
flux - but there's no reason why there should be THAT much flux in there
from soldering connections, so that's out. 3) is there some sort of
protective coating they put on the board? again, there's no good reason (of
which I know) why they'd do that, but i'm just saying it's possible. A la
roland voice chips.... stupid, but it's been done before. 4) is there a a
transformer/regulator or the such that has a fluid that acts as a heatsink?
usually that'd be a white/cream color, and not so "fluid" but that's the
only cream/oil i could see being inside. 5) is there adhesive to hold the
front panel or other accoutrements on? maybe that adhesive became liquid for
somesuch reason.

because it looks like you've got something leaking out rather than in, i'd
bet my left cajone that it's moisture. Otherwise, it'd have to get in
somehow to be able to get out, and if there's no clear way of that
happening, it doesn't make any sense at all. I've already had a fedex truck
have an oil spill in the back of a truck (yep - that's right) but your box
would most likely be destroyed (and you said it's fine).

long story short, if you can't find something INSIDE the piece of gear that
would be leaking that fluid,  it has to be moisture/gas/etc or has to have
leaked in somehow. past that, the closest thing I can think of is to contact
analogue haven and maybe they can point you in the direction of the
manufacturer (still in business?) or someone that knows the machines.

Nate