Weird oil leaking from electronics device?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jun 21 19:35:10 CEST 2011

Ok, I am completely stumped by this. Maybe some of the electronics
gurus on the bar can help figure out what it is.

I shipped an Oberkorn mkIII sequencer that I sold to someone.   It was
in packed very carefully and shipped via FedEx from Chicago to NYC.

When opened, the guy found a screw in the front panel had fallen out,
and there was this weird oil substance on one side of it (near where
the screw came out).  The packaging all looked good, and it wasnt on
the bubble wrap it was packed in.   It came from INSIDE the unit.

Here are some pictures he took:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/Oberkorn3.jpeg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/Oberkorn4.jpeg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/Oberkorn5.jpeg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/Oberkorn6.jpeg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/Oberkorn7.jpeg
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1994658/Oberkorn8.jpeg

I have done deals with this guy before, and I am pretty sure he
wouldnt be pulling my leg on this.

Does anyone have any idea what this fluid could be?  He hasn't powered
the unit up yet, so we don't know if anything was damaged. Everything
*looks* ok inside..

Any bright ideas from the bar?

Tony