which tablet

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Jun 12 11:39:00 CEST 2011

> I'd like some advice, I've been offered the chance of a tablet of my choice.
> I don't "need" one per se, but I really do want one.

As it happens, I'm now developing full-time for tablets at my new job. For development I will get either the new Samsung Galaxy Tab, or the ASUS Transformer.  Either are 'good enough' for my needs.  (iPad2 as well, of course).

> I've narrowed it down to one of the following;
> iPad 2 (derrr)
> Asus eee pad transformer

Transformer is pretty nice, to be honest, I think this is a safe winner.

> I'd prefer it to have 3G connectivity, so the iPad is winning there,
> but I would also like to be able to "use" it with SD cards, facebook,
> MSN and so on.

The iPad Camera Connection Kit is more like a "restricted SD access for some apps that ask permission", bundled with a fully-working USB adapter into which you can stick a USB-MIDI Cable and do a whole lot of really superb, musical things.  This MIDI revolution isn't working so smoothly - yet - on Android, but on iPad its simply fabulous.  The iPad lends itself to the utility of a 19" rack of gear, all over again.  I can honestly say, I may sell my QY700 and be rid of it entirely, finally, with an iPad in its place.  Oh, maybe not, I do still ever so love its pocket-calculator'ness even in the onslaught of multitouch.

Imho, the Camera Connection Kit should be called "USB for iPad", actually .. I hardly use the SD card adapter for image transfer.

;
--
Jay Vaughan