MIDI over ethernet?

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 21 14:43:52 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Jay Vaughan <jayv at synth.net> wrote:
> Try the Wifi, but if all you want is MIDI sync, why don't you just pull a proper MIDI cable between each other?  I don't get whats wrong with a normal MIDI cable ..

Nothing - and that would be our preference.  But both laptops only
have two USB ports on them, and we each have two controllers that we
use that don't offer external MIDI ports (which really makes me
crazy).  If we can't get the ethernet sync to work (and the testing I
did last night didn't look promising) than we will both probably need
to change our controller setups or put a hub in our setups, which I
definitely don't like.

You know, it is a wonder (or maybe it isn't) than none of the
controller makers have put bluetooth or some other wireless protocol
on their controllers.  Certainly bluetooth, wifi (or maybe ant?) has
enough bandwidth to support a couple simple controllers and the
minimal data stream they would create.  Or maybe, I just don't know.

Tony