A wireless solution for your average MIDI studio ..

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 15 13:25:40 CEST 2011

Hi Jay

On 15.07.2011 13:01, Jay Vaughan wrote:
> We're throwing around the idea (naturally) of building an ANT-based
> wireless network system/technology/product for music studios that
> allows them to control MIDI-based equipment wirelessly, using an
> Android tablet or iPad.

Not 100% sure I see the full picture. A wireless controller (e.g. iPad)
certainly sounds like a convenient thing to have. Wireless connection to
the synths, however, is relatively pointless unless it also includes
audio streaming and the devices can run off batteries.

It's not really the equipment rack that I would target with such a
solution, but rather the potentially mobile things: Controllers, foot
pedals, guitars, etc. People tend to trip over cables on stage while
playing, or they feel tethered. If your solution can make a device
totally independent, then you've got a product - otherwise it's just an
incremental improvement that I wouldn't spend money on.

You might want to take a look into the art installation scene. They do
quite a bit with wireless sensors that drive projections and audio,
often based on Max or PD. There are already some wireless kits on the
market for such things, but I could imagine that one can improve upon them.

Martin