Going modular

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 25 16:54:00 CET 2011

On 25 Jan 2011, at 15:19, Tony Scharf wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 9:13 AM, Jonny Stutters <jstutters at jeremah.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Ouch.  I had a look at what you had there are briefly imagined owning a modular myself but that's way out of my price range.  Looks great though.
>

> The problem with modulars.  There is the false idea that you can start with one or two modules and expand, but there really is a base amount of functionality before a system becomes useful.

Yeah, that tallies with what I found last time I tossed the idea around.  You look at a module and think "ok, $100 that's not too bad."  Then you realise that just to get a beep sound you need 3 modules and it just keeps getting deeper and deeper.

The payoff is that once you've got the foundation you /can/ add cool single modules a little at a time (which I imagine is why it's so notoriously addictive) but there's no getting away from that big up-front spend.

Jonny