Spark anyone? Yet another "new" drum machine

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 25 02:54:00 CET 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com>wrote:

> So how cool is an MPC really? I know you need to have one if you're
> called Linkin Park, and every man and his second cousin wanting look
> even vaguely interesting is required to be seen with one, but... what do
> you do with it? Hit samples, drums, that kind of thing?

Its not about the sampling, but the sequencing.   To put it short, its fast,
very fast, to sit down at and get a drum beat and the rhythm section to an
arrangement going on it.

With the bigger units, they have  the 4 MIDI outs and very nice MIDI routing
that lets you work computer free if you want.

My first MPC was the 1000 which I really liked, but thought 'hey I'd like
the bigger pads' so I eventually upgraded to the 2500.  Then a 5000 came
available at a price I could not resist, and I upgraded again.  Recently, I
sold that because it took up so much space, and Maschine really has taken
over my drum programming duties...but I keep thinking that a second hand 1k
will find its way back in my studio.  I really think its the perfect form
factor for that type of device.

Tony