Interesting article about Google and h.264

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 18 01:50:07 CET 2011

Op 18-1-2011 1:28, diode schreef:

> Le 17 janv. 2011 � 00:01, Jay Vaughan a �crit :
>
>> a) Power consumption and allocation requires arbitration
>> b) CPU must be involved in transfers
>> c) *Very* PC-specific - device-to-device transfers technically 'not allowed' by the spec
>> d) Has only the 'advantage' that its now become a massively standard peripheral standard
>
> e) USB is very bad at moving packets in time, FW is. It'is only because the bandwidth goes up that it's less visible.

Yeah, but it's comparing apples and oranges, really. For input devices,
USB is simply great. It's because of Apple's stubbornness that Intel
figured, hang on, we've got a serial bus right here and most people
don't care a rat's ass about anything other than a master-slave
connection. And USB is superior to the plethora of parallel and serial
interfaces (anybody remember connecting a mouse with a DB25 connector?)
that it replaced.

So USB was put beyond its intended target range of devices, but
economically, it all makes sense: backwards compatible, industry
standard, etc.

> Now why Apple has been so stupid about promoting it is beyond me.

Because Apples loves control and its intellectual property.

> On the lack of USB3 in Apple hardware for now, is because I think (and I'm not alone) they are planning to jump to (copper)lightpeak instead. And to be a little bit serious, most people don't need these levels of speed for day to day job, as video pro are.
>
> eSATA is very good at handling drives, but it's about a little more here.

Hmm. Wikipedia has the following to say:

"In January 2011, Intel announced that the first Light Peak
implementations would not be fibre optic but strictly copper based. No
speeds were claimed but commentators judged that performance of Copper
Peak would not exceed that of USB3 or SATA 6Gb by enough to justify such
a drastic shift in protocol and interface."

So why bother?

- Peter