Interesting article about Google and h.264

diode EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Jan 18 01:28:02 CET 2011

Le 17 janv. 2011 à 00:01, Jay Vaughan a écrit :

> a) Power consumption and allocation requires arbitration
> b) CPU must be involved in transfers
> c) *Very* PC-specific - device-to-device transfers technically 'not allowed' by the spec
> d) Has only the 'advantage' that its now become a massively standard peripheral standard

e) USB is very bad at moving packets in time, FW is. It'is only because the bandwidth goes up that it's less visible.

Plus I marked that some considered only FW on the angle of hard drive connectics, it's way more than that. It's about data exchange between devices, fast and in time. That's why it's great for A/V. USB is so bad at this that a 400 mbps FW beats 480 mbps USB any time.

Now why Apple has been so stupid about promoting it is beyond me.

On the lack of USB3 in Apple hardware for now, is because I think (and I'm not alone) they are planning to jump to (copper)lightpeak instead. And to be a little bit serious, most people don't need these levels of speed for day to day job, as video pro are.

eSATA is very good at handling drives, but it's about a little more here.

Denis H]
No LOPPSI!
No HADOPI!
No ACTA!