Doepfer Darktime

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 15 13:13:39 CET 2011

> How do you see this? Pure balls mostly stolen from designs found on the
> internet.

None of that has anything to do with how I feel when I have the gear in front of me and play with it for a few hours.  I really like the sound and the general feel of the systems - a custom A100 is still a modular synthesizer, whatever the source of the design.

> I had a discussion some time ago with Jurgen Haible, he said they just
> copied some of his designs without asking or giving credits. I can not
> support this company.

Well, that I can understand, being very frustrating and unfair and thus a worthy moral stance.  I don't know anything about that.

> and I don't like the format...
> This DarkTime... looks a lot like some MFOS designs combined. I hope
> they didn't rip my midi to analog clk design ;-)

I think at some point with synthesizer electronics, we all have to admit that there is, possibly, some restraints on just how unique the designs can be.  If it looks like a circuit that works, and your circuit works, then its a working circuit with rules of physics to obey, nevertheless!

Rules of credit and attribution, in electronics, are frequently broken without whim, as all electronics designers know.  There are few who don't borrow, and many who do, lugubriously.

In the end though, yeah.  Doepfer aren't my first choice for a modular system, but I still enjoy playing with it when I see it/have it, and I must admit to have enjoyed the sound, quite well, when it happens .. The Darkstar has been popular at some local jams, anyway ..

(And I wish I had a mega modular system like you do, ToAD!  Please tell us more about it!)

;
--
Jay Vaughan