BBC News - CES 2011: Microsoft shows Windows running on Arm chips

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jan 7 17:51:01 CET 2011

Op 7-1-2011 9:32, Jay Vaughan schreef:

> Yeah, this is interesting (although Microsoft have been developing/building/running other-architecture builds of Windows, internally, for years), but the thing that bugs me is that they haven't done the Fat-binary thing so that the same .EXE will run on both platforms, and there's no superlative-emulation in the configuration (like Apple had) to make it easier for customers to deploy both platforms, and .. so on .. and on ..

With that emulation, do you mean Soft PC? That was bought by Microsoft.
:) (Presumably to run Intel-based Windows software on the Xbox 360.)

I'm not so sure that the fat binary makes sense in terms of the business
model that Microsoft have in mind for the future, cloud-based and such.

> Still, it'll be nice to see ARM become a lot more viable as a solution for corporate deployment, if it happens ..

True. Although I don't mind running an Intel chip now. When I bought my
previous system, AMD was the best choice, but the Core i7 is pretty nice
for gaming.

- Peter