Sequencing issues

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Feb 3 05:55:51 CET 2011

Ok, I am working in a little bit different way right now, and it would
helpful if my DAW could do what I want.  I posted this question to Facebook,
but I thought I would drop it here:

Which DAW can do this: Route MIDI to an external device while recording the
MIDI from multiple sources, AND have a soft VST (specifically Maschine) play
back in sync with that MIDI without needing to go all crazy trying to get
everything to sync?  Can Sonar do this?  Reaper, Live and Renoise all fail
this test at various points.

To give more detail, I have a couple of hardware sequencers that will get
clock from the DAW.  MIDI should be routed back into the DAW and recorded
(probably go to the daw then back out).  My drum machine of choice is
Maschine these days, so the DAW has to run that as well.  I would like to be
able to record audio and MIDI from the sequencers and the synths they are
driving.

My audio interface can handle this, and I have enough MIDI ports for what I
want to do.  The issue is that none of the DAWS I have seem to be able to do
this and keep things in time.  Reaper lets me record the MIDI, but it doesnt
echo it back out.   Renoise can only send clock to one MIDI port, and doesnt
handle long linear tracks at all.  Live just makes me want to punch someone
- nothing comes out synchronized at all despite getting clock from the same
place.

Can the new Sonar handle this?  I have an old version of cubase around I
might have to dig into again..

suggestions?

Tony

NoiseTheorem: