subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 26 19:42:39 CEST 2011

> 2) With regards to boot time - maybe think less about that and more about the time to wake from hibernating to SSD?

with SSD, boot time becomes nearly moot .. a matter of judicious use of the preload tools, and the majority of bootup is done in a blink.  there are still things like network and socket timeout latencies in some processes, but for such a thing as an embedded linux/synth-engine, we wouldn't need too much network/socket work, hopefully .. it would just boot fast to the required audio daemons, and not deal terribly much with device bus scanning for driver loads (tie /etc/modules down well..)

cryopid on a supercollider executable would be an interesting experience .. if i hadn't moved to 64bit on my home linux box, i'd do a quick test to see if it sc recovers from a mid-playback de-freeze .. would be terribly nifty if it could (might take some code to re-sync the patch, though..)

;
--
Jay Vaughan