subnotebook/netbook w/ linux 4 electronic music?

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Aug 25 17:32:41 CEST 2011

Tony Hardie-Bick <tony at entity.net> wrote:

>SuperCollider
>>or pd, and there's never any point in being less than awesome.
>>>

>>.. unless you're just running a few native, non-VM/-interpretive
>>applications, like ZynAddSubFX or so on (C/C++-based executables), in
>>which case an Atom N455 can be really, honestly, plenty of power.
>>
>>;
>>--
>>Jay Vaughan
>
>Yeah - that's true. SC and pd are C/C++, though, but there's a bit more
>going on. I mention these because they have the largest user base.

Or, I should add, that I'm so impressed with the way the VM is implemented in SC that I've not been tempted to consider going back. The overhead is astonishingly low, but more memory is required. Mostly the CPU is rendering audio.

YMMV ;)

Tony (HB)