xbox (to buy or not to buy...)

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Aug 20 17:06:51 CEST 2011

On 20/08/2011 12:12, Jay Vaughan wrote:
>> http://www.hetchins.org/review-01.htm
> What a truly beautiful book.  I'm off to buy it ..

It is that, but some reviews mark it down online for not being quite
what the title says. But still, great craftmanship you'd have to pay
through the nose for today (or DIY)

I picked it up just after I started making bike bits out of steel and
aluminium, nothing remarkable, things like dérailleur hangers, an
aluminium suspension pivot bolt (required imperial dies and rod),
aluminium adapters and spacers for IS disc brakes, rear seat stays,
basically bodging instead of buying.

Been working on a 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler frame, which is now built up
with scrounged parts. Unfortunately, the seller said it was an anodised
frame, so I thought "great, durable finish", but instead it was a sad
oxidised bare aluminium frame that was probably sold as polished when
new. So I replaced the pivot bearings and assembly (well worn out and
rusted bearings) and polished it up again, removing the DIY decals.
Looks almost like chrome. New genuine badge and decals and Pierre is
your uncle ;) I'm really pissed off because I dropped the first decal on
the floor of my very dirty shed, left side down tube, and it covered in
sheeit that I could not get off, but never mind ;)

Almost every mod I've made to this full sus bike has not gone smoothly,
requiring further mods here and there to iron out unforeseen aggh
moments, but that's half the battle. Saved some weight here and there
too, but not much (it's about 13-14 kilo altogether)

I do like the 'old' Heckler frame.

It still needs one last polish, and some DIY neoprene protection and
other bits not so much required as wanted, like an air rear shock (would
save almost half a kilo in weight), might need a new cassette soon, and
a larger, matching granny ring (26 probably instead of 22) but here's
the pics:

"My Silver Machine, never mean, except on random groupset cost"

http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Bike01.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Bike02.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Bike03.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Bike04.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Bike05.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Bike06.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Chainset.JPG	(Double for now)
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Disc01.JPG	(Shows custom adaptor)
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Stay01.JPG	(Custom Stay)
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Stay02.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Stay02.JPG
http://www.sphinx.f2s.com/Heckler/Stay-New-Top.JPG

I made the Seat Stay for more tyre clearance, for fatter tyres.
Without it, even fat 2.2's or 2.35's would rub.
The disc brake adaptor is made from a slab of 8mm 7075 and the seat stay
from 6mm, cheaper alu. I saved 3 grams with the bored stay, lol.
Even the pedals are not mtb, but BMX ones that I swapped Wellgo 9/16
axles into for that more silvery look.

Hope you like.