London/UK violence

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 10 01:38:20 CEST 2011

(Meant to go to the bar in the first place, but for some reason only
ended up with Gert.)

Op 10-8-2011 0:03, Gert van Santen schreef:

> So where does the correct information come from, then?

That's a philosophical question, more than anything else. First, you'd
have to answer questions such as 'is there absolute truth?', and stuff
like that. Any religious organisation will happily tell you that, yes,
there is indeed absolute truth, but I'll settle for relative truth, or
what I believe is the case.

What is pretty much true is that there are riots going on, right now, in
London. What is much less clear is why they are going on. Is it because
they're scum, mob mentality, that sort of thing? Or is it the poor
oppressed masses, rising against the relentless machinations of big,
anonymous businesses that are the real government, and use this as an
excuse to repress those masses?

It's really what you believe. Quite a few people on this list will tell
you that, yup, it's the big companies and the corrupt government that
are to blame. I tend to verge toward the scum/mob/idiots theory, but
that immediately raises the question: what made them like this? For some
reason, this sort of thing seems to happen more often in the UK than in
other European countries.

Inequality has been mentioned, and I think that's a good starting point.
Most European societies are egalitarian to a fault, with perhaps France
as a notable exception. Until the eighties, when the USA took over this
questionable crown, France was the country with the greatest income
differences in the world.

Hang on a second, weren't there big riots in and around Paris and
several other French cities a few years back?

I also believe that the idiotic electoral system in both the UK and the
USA has a strong connection to what's going on. The 'first past the
post' system encourages self-preservation and selfishness. The system in
the USA has been created to have so many checks and balances that it is
impossible for any person (the president) or group (senate, house,
states) to have too much power. The net result, combined with the
aforementioned system, is that populism works best to get re-elected,
and that the USA's government is a lame duck when compared to the power
that any European government has.

In Europe, the head of state usually has a ceremonial system (again with
the exception of France, and some eastern countries such as Russia), and
the power lies with a government built on a majority in parliament. The
embarrassing bickering we saw in the USA last week is simply
inconceivable in Europe, where parliaments usually evolved from a system
where they favoured the monarch. (The Netherlands are an excellent
example of that.)

As a result, in Europe a government can much more easily ignore popular
or populist opinion and get away with it. This is, in my opinion, why in
the USA they'd rather kick their own granny out of Medicare ("it's her
own fault that she didn't make provisions") than save a few bucks on the
biggest social work project in existence: the defence industry. ("But by
spending on a sixth generation jet fighter, thousands of people have a
job." Never mind that no other country than the USA even has a fifth
generation jet fighter, and that spending money for people to have jobs
in, let's say, the social sector, is absolutely out of the question.) In
Europe, there's much more of a welfare state, and people love it,
although they don't want to pay for it.

So why, you may ask, aren't there major riots in the USA every day of
the week? Well, that's a good question. Private gun ownership might have
something to do with it, and let's face it, certain areas are best
avoided at all costs. (South Central, Watts, Compton, Texas.)

Still, everybody makes his own choices, and his own mistakes. I can have
no sympathy for the rioters and looters, at all. The people they steal
from have to work hard, every day. And that's the most tragic part of
it. The ones affected most are retailers, not the faceless big
multinationals that everybody is supposed to be angry at.

Oh, and has there ever been a more appropriate song than this one to
describe the current situation? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylxbb54fuV4

- Peter