Revisited modular track.

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Aug 7 23:54:06 CEST 2011

Op 7-8-2011 6:15, Tony Scharf schreef:

> Let me know what you think, and of course - Enjoy!

Late reaction, but anyway.

The main issue for me, personally, is that it's damn difficult to keep a
groove or loop interesting. It's a bit like when I flipped channels on
TV and there was Underworld live. They had this groove going, that was
simply great, nay, fantastic! The crowd was going wild!

Two minutes later, nothing much had changed.

Another three minutes later, it was pretty much as before. I flipped
channels again.

Although it's obvious that you've put a lot of work in this, and never
mind the quality of the mix (my ears are terrific to hear absolute
pitch, but pretty much useless when it comes to perceiving artefacts,
frequency problems and such; 128 kbps MP3 sounds perfectly fine to me),
the basis of the track is this ever-repeating string of notes. You can
tweak some knobs, filters, add speech (which I didn't mind), perhaps a
melody (which I did find too predictable), but the essence does not change.

If you treat it like a DJ (and with that I mean: with a DJ controller
like I saw Mohsen use yesterday), you could bring in another groove
after a couple of minutes. It would probably also mean that you'd have
to buy another rack of modules (besides the DJ controller, or something
of the sort).

I mean, I don't know. I've never played with a modular, so I can't say
anything sensible about it. But it's my belief that the sell-by date of
a groove or loop is too short to make a track out of it.

- Peter