Processing Audio into Images/Video

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Aug 5 12:00:11 CEST 2011

On 4 Aug 2011, at 19:08, Tony Scharf wrote:

> I am looking for some way to take audio and turn it into some kind of
> video or still images.  I know that is a very open-ended goal, but
> what is out there?  I really know zero about video and what kind of
> stuff is out there.   Would something like Max be good for this?  I'd
> prefer something cheaper or free, obviously.
>
> I have no clue how anything involving video works.  Beyond snapping
> low quality .mov on my phone, I haven't ever worked with video.
>
> Suggestions appreciated.

You could do your processing with Processing (www.processing.org).  The minim library (which is included with the standard install) will give you FFT data and beat tracking on live or recorded audio to translate into a visual however you like.  Processing is Java under the hood which may or may not be an issue.  Might be worth considering as alternative to the visual patching metaphor.

Fluxus (http://www.pawfal.org/fluxus/) also springs to mind if you've got a burning desire to learn Scheme.

Jonny