Hang

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Nov 22 20:55:10 CET 2010

On 22/11/10 19:18, K9 Kai Niggemann wrote:
> Controlling what and where people play it is a classic case of what buddhists
> call "attachment" and work hard to get rid off.

Their philosophy, ironically, appears to be an attempt to break the common
attachments of musicians to known roles of musical performance. FWIW, the
concepts they describe would have great value for me, as a way of thinking about
music differently, and which would greatly enrich the way I make music under
other circumstances. In fact, their idea might be considered a transformation of
Cage's projection of music as an experience created by the individual - in this
case the performer is the listener, rather than in Cage's case, there was
(nearly?) always a distinction between performer and audience. I think the
democratisation of technology makes this distinction somehow feudal and
outdated; the Hang being a reflection of the unity of performer and audience,
which only works if the person playing is totally immersed in the experience of
making sound.

Dogma, OTOH, is always a bit of an odd fish ;)

Tony (HB)