Castor, Radioactivity, Green Energy, Kraftwerk

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Nov 9 22:51:12 CET 2010

Op 7-11-2010 2:27, diode schreef:

> Solar and windmills are usually standardized at 12 or 24V, even 48 V. Some windmills issue triphased or 240 V too. Besides the electronics for us geeks ;) the casual appliances can be found in 12-24 V, but it's costly (camping, boat appliances). But as I said, you can have a double system, with 12 or 24 V for lights, electronics� and a small 220 grid with an inverter for the fridge. The low voltage circuit has another quality : it's fine for LEDs, and usually safe in case you have to meddle with it.

What's cool about the British system we use here is that the power lines
for sockets and lights are completely separate. So it should be feasible
to run all your lights on 12v, although the savings will likely be
small, because you need lights when there's no sun, so solar will
provide some challenge.

(What's not so cool about the electricity in our house is that it's a
really shoddy job. Sometimes, the electricity just fails, particularly
if there's a thunderstorm. Even if it's in Sicily.)

- Peter