Castor, Radioactivity, Green Energy, Kraftwerk

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Nov 7 14:54:39 CET 2010

On 06.11.2010 6:54, Peter Korsten wrote:
> But seriously, renewable energy is not yet a replacement for neither
> conventional nor nuclear power stations. There's a lot of fuss about
> electric vehicles now, but the prices are absolutely unrealistic. And

Prices are just one thing. Looking at total energy and pollution, they
aren't really any better than a comparable diesel car. The big
difference is where the emissions actually occur. So all they do is move
the dirt out of the cities, but the dirt is still there. I recently
attended the presentation of a very interesting study that really looked
into all these effect. One interesting side note: If all cars in Germany
were replaced with electric vehicles, they would need an additional 12
nuclear power plants or about 12'000 large windmills.

So the core of the problem is very simple: We use way too much energy.
Full stop.

> Given that your country is still digging holes the size of a town to get
> at a fossil fuel that is both inefficient and highly polluting, I think
> there are more immediate concerns than storing nuclear waste somewhere
> underground.

Exactly my thoughts. It's easy to be against nuclear power, but I don't
see the alternative. It's good to work on alternative sources, but it'd
be highly unrealistic to hope they would be without their share of side
effects.

Martin