Licenses

Jonny Stutters EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Mar 18 11:18:29 CET 2010

On 17 March 2010 21:48, Peter Korsten <peter at severity-one.com> wrote:
> Op 17-3-2010 21:20, Tony Scharf schreef:
>
>> So under what license do you release your music?  What do you like
>> about the model you use over others?  If you are actually trying to
>> earn income from your music, how does the license model you have
>> chosen effect that?
>
> Counter-question: what would you like to achieve by releasing your
> music? The answer to that will be very important to answer your own
> question.

I'm with Peter on this one.  Decide what you want to get out of
releasing your music, both philosophically and financially then find a
license that fits.  Licensing should fit you and not the other way
round.  Money's the big decider, if you're releasing for free (as in
beer) then it'll likely just be a question of figuring out which bits
of the Creative Commons license you fancy.  If you do want to make
money from sales of the recordings then I have no idea how you go
about licensing.

Last time I bothered to think about this I went with Creative Commons
attribution-share alike-non commercial.  If I was doing this now I'd
probably go with just attribution on the thinking that if anything I
did ever wound up in an advert I'd be so pleased about the wider
circulation that not getting any money out of it wouldn't be so bad.

Jonny