RPM 2010 deadline approaches!

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Mar 1 22:39:03 CET 2010

On Mar 1, 2010, at 4:12 PM, Tony Hardie-Bick wrote:

> Andrew Tarpinian wrote:
>> As in they sound unrealistic? I have just been grabbing in the dark
>> at
>> this sample library trying to find the limits and what's appropriate.
>
> The woodwind and percussion sound (on a casual listen) much like the
> real thing,
> but the strings are harshly bright. Not unlike a sound that real
> orchestras
> sometimes go for. Possibly you're playing samples that were recorded
> with the
> instruction "fff", so that subsequent use as samples could be
> moderated by the
> use of slight filtering.

Yea, I think I just went overboard on'em. They are solo instrument
patches so are a lot cleaner, thinner and brighter than the other
instruments used (4 flutes patch, 6 French horns patch etc..) - also I
think I was pushing them too much in velocity at points and in the mix.

As far as the "fff" you are talking about, if I am understanding you
correctly EastWest handles that either in a certain patch version for
each instrument, called Round Robin, or for patches that don't have
that feature built in, there is a repetition button that varies
parameters at random every note. All of the arpe'd stuff has
repetition engaged but not sure about the string sounds, might be the
portamento feature will have to check.

There is really a lot to play with in terms of getting full
expressiveness and realism with all the different articulations and
features, and then plain ol' velocity and mixing.