video lights

K9 Kai Niggemann EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Jun 30 19:42:32 CEST 2010

HI Bar,

thanks a lot for all the helpful tips. I used 4 lamps by a German company called "Multiblitz", a name that would probably be killer in the US market. 2x1250 Watts -- those were incredibly warm (especially on this hot day, about 33°C in Bochum where I shot) and 2x less. Don't really know how much. I used the 1250s for indirect light, bouncing them off white walls (and increasing the distance to the fish I was filming...;) and the other two direct. I briefly looked at the film -- and really liked the tones and light. Must see if my "actor" gave me enough good scenes now...

On 29.06.2010, at 01:25, Romain / rXg wrote:

> Indeed I used a halogen 1000 watt for construction and the light is bright white imo ( around 50 euro ) , it s quite warm tho maybe you can rent an air conditioner for the event (with tubes then the machine could be outside or apart from the studio so you avoid too much noise except for the wind of course  )   ?

Today ended up being a very good test run. I need to get the sound sorted out - -the Canon EOS 5D MKII has no headphone out -- monitoring is difficult, a major drawback. I think I messed up with the lavalier mic, but got a directional mic for safety. (lavalier was recorded separately on my Zoom H4n)

> Or it s maybe stupid/cheap to mention did you think about to do  it just  "outside" and arrange the studio there ?

that's too much to do -- I needed cooking equipment, a backdrop -- also today the weather was too unstable -- very hot in the morning, now we are approaching a thunderstorm.

> If it's for a long recording session forget the last one ...
>
> btw what's about your project around Enschede?

We recorded the film with an actor from Münster and an actress from Enschede, now we need to edit the material. I wrote the first guide tracks and still need to find a local trombonist. I think I have a violinist from Amsterdam, though.

We will present the project with a live soundtrack in September -- Of course I will let you know...! ;-)

all the best,

Kai