Open Solaris

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Feb 22 18:12:06 CET 2010

Op 22-2-2010 8:27, Mikael Hansson schreef:

> I sense a possible heated discussion here...so to cool it down a bit, I
> can tell you that it's currently -24°C outside here :)

My point was more that the argument "why would you want to use
OpenSolaris when there are so many Linux distributions?" is just as
silly as the argument "I don't like the name Linux". If number of
installations are such an important factor, you'd best install Windows
Server 2003.

Either way, I think that neither OpenSolaris, FreeBSD nor Linux are what
you should be looking at.

> The reason I considering OpenSolaris is that I've heard good things
> about ZFS regarding fileintegrity and that discencryption (through ZFS)
> are to be implemented this year.

 From what I understand, it also adds a lot of CPU overhead.

> Since there's so many important things (music, pics, homevideos, etc.)
> being stored digitally now I consider this the most important aspects.

As Jay pointed out already, RAID is not an alternative to backups, just
as ZFS isn't. If your stuff is that important, back it up.

You could also consider to do what I'm contemplating, which is getting a
very large capacity hard disc in your own computer (I got a 1.5 TB SATA
and just started to extract my entire CD collection to FLAC) and copy
the whole lot to a file server.

In that case, you're still screwed if your house burns down, and
possibly even if you get hit by lightning, but at least you're a bit safer.

- Peter