Cold

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 22 13:58:36 CET 2010

On 22/12/2010 12:31, Peter Korsten wrote:
> Oh dear... that makes it a 45 degrees difference with southern Europe.
> See the attached picture.
>
> Although Saturday it's going to be 'cold'. ;)

I like the cold weather.
Here, it's beyond -20 as well, though the weather forecasts sneakily are
at least 10C out upward for most of the country.
It's absolutely fine as long as you are expecting it, unlike the Spanish
Inquisition. Many neighbours water supplies are frozen, so I'm filling
up their cisterns and stuff if needed. I took simple/adhoc precautions
this time and the main water is still flowing. Cost nothing at all, just
did a 'Blue Peter' and modified an Owl Box to stop ice accumulating on
the supply pipe (a lot of the pipework round here is of a terrible
standard, if not illegal installations. less than -10, no water)

What saddens me is that I'll bet there are tens, if not hundreds of
thousands of old or infirm who are not even claiming the heating
allowance (400 odd pounds) and are scared to put on the fire to keep the
house or a room comfortable. My neighbour's a bit dottled like that. She
seemed to have muddled up the water board or plumber telling her the
pipes cannot be unfrozen because the supply is a plastic pipe and their
techniques using direct heat might melt it. Her translation of that was
that she should leave her central heating off until it thaws!!?

Get your heating on, missus! F'k global warming! Localised warming ;)