Messy Sh**

Sjaak de Vos EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Apr 27 18:49:48 CEST 2010

K9 Kai Niggemann wrote:
> I just listened to some of your tracks and I'd say they are... different..

Thanks -  different is good/cool - some people called it MovieMusic..
> sometimes it sounds like your bassist isn't receiving proper MIDI clock, drifting in and out of sync. I heard the term "russian dragons" used for this style of bass playing (because of the alternating rushing and dragging...).

I'm the bass player, in fact I play/do everything.
I know you are right about the drifting.

It's mostly inexperience and I invent my schemes on the fly....., during
recording..

I don't do much editing, but I do record a lot.
At a certain point i "know" I've got a half decent take.
I also know - especially in this case - that it is not perfect at a few
moments - the drifting.
I think sometimes I add half and a bit bar or something..

But I decide to go on.

If I don't go on - move on to guitar or something - I will stay fiddling
around with the bass.

Hehe, it's a decision I made in order to keep music making attractive
for myself and easy and searching/exploring.
I'm not really trying to get something perfect yet - or better,
something beautiful- but I'm getting a sense how to (play/use my
instruments...)

All my tracks up there on the Internet have some major or minor
weak/imperfect places.
I accept that, I know I've got a fair chance to get rid of that in the
future.

Until then my music is only free availlable..

> The bass is mixed very loud, that's why it's so obvious, too.

Yeah I bought them - 2 basses - recently  so I'm into bas playing atmo -
so it gets loud..
> Also I must say that I am not a big fan of pick-bass sounds. I prefer fingers and like the Jazz-bass sound.

I do both, both have their unique things and possibilities.
The bass I play here is a very cheap Richwood J bass imitation.
> I think there are definitely some nice parts and feel like sometimes you could do less and in doing so. let the atmosphere of the tracks (that is most often certainly in there) breathe a bit.

It's very crowded sometimes - i use that to hide the mistakes that's one
reason,.
But I also like it crowded.
I also have acoustic guitars - I want to do something nice and easy with
them somewhere in the future.
Empty music - lot's of no-sound.
Combined with  crowded things.
> I like the wah-guitar, but feel like that should be a "solo" part, something where the whole track works toward, builds up to. Like this I must admit that I found it tiring after a while.

Can imagine that you get tired to listening long solo's.
But that's what I do like playing most/best - I used to listen to very
long solo's when I was young.
Hendrix Who knows - Santana Samba pa ti - Neil Young like A Hurricane
aso aso- and I preferred the live versions because the guitar solo gets
more time.. lol.

Besides that I do vocal takes on my recordings - but not satisfied here.
Will take a few more years and maybe then I 'll get what I really want.

The things I make now are not really intended to be a pro thing,
whatever that may be.

Most things that went wrong are made during the beginning, but at the
moment it's no real benefit yet to change that - the vocal thing has to
be there and that's taking it's own time.

> Please don't feel offended. I think we are going towards a culture of honest criticism here, which is extremely valuable!

I don't feel offended a bit - this list  has become  rather a very
friendly list.
You know, during my life I tried to answer why I make music..

And there are many reasons some good some doubtful or just plain bad or
something.

I want to improve my musicabiltities - but down the road there are a lot
of distractions and attractions.

:-)