New track

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 20 11:39:00 CEST 2009

Hi Micke

Mikael Hansson wrote:
> It's called "Tubes of Colors" and it contains me on instruments and my
> friend Mathias on vocals
> <http://deadmengods.com/music/mm_tubes_of_colors_beta.mp3>

Definitely a very nice one! Here's some comments:

I think the initial buildup that Joost didn't like is good, but too
long: One "step" too much - so I'd cut about the first 15 seconds.

I'm in two minds about Gert's comment regarding the early break. On the
one hand, I think it does fit nicely where it is, on the other hand, it
would certainly be more "dramatic" later on.

Production wise, I'm not overly happy with the vocals. They don't "glue"
together with the rest and should be more up-front. For a start, they're
not in the center, but rather come from left and right - I assume you
used the short delay left/right trick to make them bigger? It's a good
idea, but you've overcooked it on this one. I would only use such a
strong effect in a chorus or to emphasize certain parts. For example, at
5:25 you have the background voice - I'd exactly reverse the effects
between the two parts.

For the main voice, I'd mainly try it bit of EQ (+ a little early
reflections) and compression to bring it upfront. Also, a de-esser
wouldn't be out of place. Next time you record a track, you might want
to play with different mic positions.

The instruments are pretty much spot on.

Martin