drooooidddd apps

Andrew Tarpinian EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Nov 13 23:20:53 CET 2009

On Nov 13, 2009, at 5:00 PM, Peter Korsten wrote:

> Andrew Tarpinian schreef:
>
>> On Nov 13, 2009, at 12:42 PM, Peter Korsten wrote:
>>
>>> So all my e-mail gets forwarded to my GMail address, and because I
>>> use
>>> their SMTP server as well, all my e-mail (both sent and received) is
>>> stored on GMail, and always accessible.
>>>
>>> For my wife, I've used IMAP, since she uses a computer at home,
>>> one at
>>> work, and one of those nifty little laptops. It seems to work for
>>> her.
>>
>> Well I think for me as far as my main work address the forwarding
>> thing wouldn't really work. I think it would be too confusing, I will
>> check it out though.
>
> When I say 'forward', it means that peter at ... gets forwarded to my
> GMail
> address by the domain registrar. But I've set up GMail in such a way
> that the address is peter at ..., instead of an address ending in
> @gmail.com.
>
> So for all intents and purposes, the e-mail appears to be coming from
> peter at ..., whereas in reality it's GMail all along. You can see it
> from
> a header in the e-mail, and sometimes Thunderbird messes up and
> decides
> to use the GMail address. Other than that, it's transparent.
>
> Which means that I have my mailbox separated from my ISP, and my e-
> mail
> address separated from my mailbox. I can change anything in this set-
> up
> at any moment, and nobody sending to me or receiving from me would be
> any the wiser.

yea just set it up with a test address - works well and is neato!

The problem for me is with using OSX Mail and the Android gmail app. I
have it set up to automatically use the address a message was sent to
on reply which works, but it does not let me select an address to send
from when composing a new email(like it would in the gmail web
interface.) It always sends from gmail. Now I guess I could set up my
other address as the default and that would work but then I would have
the same problem with other addresses... bla tricky tricky I will keep
playing around.