Amp Recommendation

The Dong EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri May 22 14:07:42 CEST 2009

Chris Strellis wrote:
> Cheap but probably very cr at p.
> ..so consequently I can’t recommend it…

Round these parts, a "pile" (or pyle in this case) is short for "a pile
of crap" ;)

That's a high price to pay for two (cheap looking) full range drivers in
a simple box!

I'd buy one of these and make a psu or use an easily modded PC PSU:

http://tinyurl.com/r9logn

If that's not powerful enough, one of these:

http://tinyurl.com/ql82p6

Or, if you are a real power junky, two of these:

http://tinyurl.com/pnq8jj

And just chuck in an existing old amplifier case or make one.
The reason I have picked out three class D amplifier boards is because
they are generally cheaper than other Chip Amps, but sound better and
even use less power. They are not difficult to wire up into complete
amplifiers, most just need a volume pot, and all the info is out there
in forums to tweak them; even the datasheets have more than enough info
to build a really, really great amplifier for a quarter the price of a
'professional audio amplifier'.

You do know that about 90% of the lower powered (and prices normal
humans can afford) pro amps and powered monitors use Chip Amp
technology, they may even use these Class D amp modules?
The ones I bought do, anyway.
They cost £500 and use 4x50W TDA Chip Amps.
I don't use them any more because the stuff I made from scratch and kits
sounds better!!

Even if your 'pro sourced' studio amp is designed with discrete
components through and through, I personally guarantee that one of the
above amp modules will be at least as good, if not way better, but the
cost savings are obvious.