Harry's game: Clannad vs. Celtic Woman

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Mar 10 13:09:17 CET 2009

Hi Peter

Peter Korsten wrote:
> This is Clannad, live in 2007:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5orfCHMmM8
> This is Celtic Woman:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLJYq9KLnZI

This is an interesting comparison, and I think one could find a ton of
similar ones. Every year around Christmas, you'll find some kind of
hyped new "project" with an immaculate orchestra, classically trained
singers looking great on TV and usually performing newly arranged
version of some previous hit songs. They usually sound great the first
time you hear them - after all, the people doing it know their craft
exceptionally well. But it gets old quickly, and I think that's because
it's just a product; the performers cherish the craft but don't really
connect with the actual songs, they don't make them "their own".

Here's an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7csvgL-G3E
Gregorian were big one Christmas.

It's miles away from bands like Apocalyptica who also take a "classical"
approach but seem to thoroughly enjoy what they're doing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tN6_1dJveM&feature=related

Bye
Martin