Time and Work

Mikael Hansson EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Mar 8 23:01:20 CET 2009

Peter Korsten skrev:
> Bear in mind that this is not a very good time to switch jobs. And
> things could change for the better - especially if you'd be doing what
> you've studied for, and presumably wanted to do in the first place.

Teaching more advanced math and physics to higher grades would be ok but
it seems impossible to get a job like that in my town. I've got a quite
high salary relative to my age right now and the headmasters in this
region rather employ someone without a proper education that accept a
lower salary. It's one of the reasons Sweden are decreasing in
international studies regarding math and science.

Only 25% of the math teachers for grades 10-12 have over 90 ECTS points
in math, 43% have under 60 ECTS points and no degree for teaching grades
10-12. Another thing is that the universitys are "fertilizing" with
points compared to when I got my degree. A newly baked theacher in math
with 60 ECTS points only get pure math courses worth of  around 45
points, the rest is "Teaching math" points.

> Working for a firm run by your friends can work really well (I've done
> exactly the same thing), and you can still hang out with them, even
> though they're "the bosses". But should things screw up business-wise,
> that could affect your personal relationship, and likely would do so.

I would be going in with the knowing that I could get laid off if they
don't do well, but they have been doing this in various forms the last
10 years and have never found it hard to get clients. They started this
company with some others just 1 year ago and they will probably sell out
within a few years and start a new company, which sounds appealing.

> The thing is, unless you really got the mind for it, programming can be
> tedious and at times simply baffling. You could write something that
> appears to work well, has been QA-tested, been working for years, and
> then spectacularly destroys all data because somebody changed the date
> on his computer. (I'm not joking or even exaggerating.)

I've always been into algebra and logic and the C-courses i took a
couple of years ago went very smoothly with nearly full score on the
exams. Besides that I love solving problems and constructing things.

> C# and .NET are good bets. But learn databases too, starting with MS SQL
> Server (since Microsoft shops tend to stick with their products) and
> perhaps Oracle and/or MySQL.

Noted! The friends firm is mostly doing websites with Episerver so
there's some MS SQL in there I think.

> About ten years ago, before I met my wife and could still fool around
> with some of those lovely Swedish girls. ;)

:)

/Micke