well, I am going to Germany

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Mar 8 16:08:55 CET 2009

Jay Vaughan schreef:

> hey, at least the fake was built by someone who'd, you know ..
> actually probably grew up on the old, original, ruins.  was a lot of
> work to rebuild it fake, or just so, either way .. they had their
> reasons to recreate it.  tourism?  probably.  'conscientious
> contribution to future generations in face of a tragedy', well then ..
> pretty good art.  fake or otherwise.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's a lovely area. A lot of Europe had to be
rebuilt after the war, and sometimes they tried to recreate the old look
(just like Ypres after the First World War: all those Medieval buildings
are no more than a century old), and sometimes they built something
entirely modern.

But it is, in a sense, an illusion. Which makes it even more poignant:
you're looking at something that looks ancient, but you know that it
isn't, because of human folly.

But since images speak louder than words:

http://www.anicursor.com/ce-cologne1.jpeg

- Peter