New Toy - Novation SL Zero

Romain Gros EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Jun 15 22:51:41 CEST 2009

Paul ,
I got the 37SL MkI. My experience with
Novation seemed very attractive/sexy but in the end i was a bit
disappointed for different reasons... (  maybe the first one is  for
update of Automap 3 I must pay :-s)
I still use automap 2 cause I heard and read that the third version of
automap was buggy ( maybe they did an update of it now days).
Automap template and universal automap mode work very well with
Ableton IMO ( easy to learn in automap mode etc), but  in Logic 8 you
can t control the third party of the plugins ...
you can still learn -manuelly in a 'non automap' mode  but you have to
convert CC  to Fader number in the environment ... ( maybe this is
solved with the 3rd version). but all those are a bit confusing in the
end ...

My keys and knobs are ok on my novation SL 37 , I used to get problems
with some buttons (stayed stuck),the 8 drums pad are ok for my test ,
the two screens are cool... the touch pad is not bad ... but i don t
like the joystick ...

About the MkII The touch control seems to be cool  , but i will prefer
some motorised fader + i miss the second screen ( why Novation put the
second screen  away ? for  manufacture cost reasons ? I don t know )...

If I can advice you something don t buy it on the net, go in the shop
with your computer if you can  and try it before on the daw you want
to control to see if it will give you what you are looking for .
Some features of Automap 3 seems really cool tho ...
but I read already couple of problems on the net but maybe they are
solved today ...
check it twice !!! :)

All in all, I m happy with it , but it took me a while to manage what
I wanted to do with it ...

Romain