petersontuners to

Tony Hardie-Bick EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Jul 24 17:30:58 CEST 2009

Hi Romain :)

Romain / rXg wrote:
> Already in the past I checked about Midi and Guitars ,
> One problem that I discovered  at the time  was to convert the sound in
> data when the guitarist play a note bended ( it seemed to be difficult
> to calculate the pitch of it properly, I think it s what you mean in
> number 1)  ...
>  I was hopping today it could be possible , more "playable "

> Maybe a day I will try but I don t want to invest in something just for
> the reason to try it :)
> Did you tried one once ?

Yeah - I have a guitar-to-midi converter, I used it on guitar to get a string
texture behind the guitar notes. It worked well for that, because tracking etc
are not important at all, I just wanted to have some notes that were vaguely
related to what I was playing...

Then I moved on to another instrument, which, I also have a midi pickup for, and
could be used with that system, but, I really went into a different philosophy
of sound, which is to investigate the voice the instrument is "trying" to sing
with, rather than imagine I have a better idea than the strings, pickups and
fretboard. They know. I learn from them :)

I'm sure midi from guitar works in some instances, maybe sometimes for complex
parts, but, there is information lost - the information one is tempted to say
"does not matter" ;)

And digital recording makes all the details available to the listener, in a way
that was not possible when the guitar first got *loud*, in 1930 or so, or,
whenever. Now, the detail is there. And I wanna listen :)

Tony (HB)