petersontuners to

Romain / rXg EMAIL HIDDEN
Thu Jul 23 21:42:04 CEST 2009

Thank you Tony  to answer me :)

Already in the past I checked about Midi and Guitars ,
One problem that I discovered  at the time  was to convert the sound in data
when the guitarist play a note bended ( it seemed to be difficult  to
calculate the pitch of it properly, I think it s what you mean in number 1)
 I was hopping today it could be possible , more "playable "
But about "inconsistent delay" few years ago I have seen one guitarist from
"hidria spacefolk" using midi on his guitar when  he was on stage  (the
music was something very "spacey" and square) and it  was really a good
surprise !
Since this concert  I always kept in my mind that midi on guitar could be
really really great , but I never tried cause I never had the chance ... :(
Maybe a day I will try but I don t want to invest in something just for the
reason to try it :)
Did you tried one once ?
Anyhow thank you Tony to answer me it s well appreciated  :)

Romain

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Tony Hardie-Bick <tony at entity.net> wrote:

> Romain / rXg wrote:
> > Hi guys ,
> > I would like to know if someone tried this device "Universal Guitar to
> > MIDI Converter"
> >
> > https://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=149&page=1
> > <https://www.petersontuners.com/index.cfm?category=149&page=1>
> >
> > Also I wish to know what barians think in general about guitar and midi
> > interaction ( playing midi note with guitar) ?/
>
> 1. The perceptual relationship between sound and cause is broken. If you
> can
> play the instrument well, then some of the detail and music you're creating
> will
> be lost. If you cannot play the instrument well, then you'd be better off
> with a
> keyboard anyway.
>
> 2. There is no software that is able to interpret the starting transient of
> the
> waveforms so that the triggered sounds start at the same time. There is a
> delay
> of at least a millisecond, and the delay is inconsistent.
>
> 3. I think it may be very useful for songwriting, though - if you're a
> guitarist
> that wants to put a bunch of notes into a sequencer, for example, and
> keyboard
> is not your natural instrument.
>
> Tony (HB)

Romain