Best song of all times

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Jan 24 13:42:36 CET 2009

Gert van Santen schreef:

> OK, I know, this is next to impossible, but just give it a try.
> What's your No. 1 song ever,

Oh dear. Well, I can't name any one song as number 1. If I were really
pressed, maybe - just maybe - Chronologie 4 by Jarre. For some strange
reason, this song brings forth an emotional reaction, although I have no
clue why.

Perhaps better to make categories...

Live:
'Fourth Rendez-Vous', Jarre, Paris La Défense 1990. An *insane* amount
of fireworks during that song.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=IsCz4yr349M (camcorder, doesn't quite
capture the event)

Limburgish:
'November', Rowwen Hèze. A Limburgish version of 'On Raglan Road', but
in my opinion better than the original.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=TFqv6O8onkE

Eurovision Song Contest: close call between
'I treni di Tozeur', Franco Battiato & Alice
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=4PthV0GxTQg
and
'Lane moje', Željko Joksimović
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=UOex13PAesQ

Trance:
'ResuRection', PPK. This song has like eight to ten layers going on at
the same time, and it still works.
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=ipE9QFiWhzQ

Progressive rock:
'Grendel', Marillion
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=qvf-I_Kzru4 (part 1)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=XWs2aQIiCKg (part 2)

Alternative rock:
'True faith', New Order (obviously, see our previous discussions)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=cpzgJfJrJIg

Classical: between
'Nessun dorma', Puccini
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=RdTBml4oOZ8
and
'Flowers duet', Delibes
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=CX-6Ej2lnwg
and
'Au fond du temple saint', Bizet
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=HfBhrgwIXT4

National anthem:
Russia (formerly of the USSR)
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=4fRU_k4tjoU
(http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc-r9U2jOLs is a nice version too,
proving that you can be bloody tall and still very cute)

Let's leave it at that for now. :)

- Peter