Be Warned...

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Tue Feb 17 19:44:30 CET 2009

Søren Knudsen schreef:

> The thing is though, that they could've catered for such problems in less privacy intruding ways than they have done. Why they need to have the rights to publish in any way they see fit is beyond me.

Legal liability.

> Why they think that it's ok to require me to let them use of all my data and personal info for marketing (or anything else for that matter) is simply beyond me - and I don't get why so few really care about this.

Legal liability.

It's simple, really. They want to cover their bases, so the risk of
being hit with a (class action) lawsuit is minimised.

This sort of thing is not done in order to exploit your data and make
the most amount of money from your personal details, but to avoid every
Tom, Dick and Harry suing them if they accidentally (or not so
accidentally) use that personal data.

Obviously, in the European Union the laws on privacy are quite strict,
and such a condition would probably break the law. How the situation in
the US is, I don't know.

But if you are concerned about your personal details, don't put them on
a site of which you don't know what they may do with that data and what
the legal situation is in the country where the site's company (and,
presumably, the site itself) is located. Nobody is forcing you to put
your details on Facebook, after all.

- Peter