Qustion to the minds of the bar

Gert van Santen EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Dec 2 02:18:23 CET 2009

Tony Scharf schreef:

> Anyway, my question is  basically, am I full of it or is he?  Is the
> different sound I am hearing a product of my imagination, or are there
> possibly different ways the different audio programs (FL Studio,
> Maschine, Live, and Battery were discussed) that could result in each
> having its own 'sound' with only the summing engines coming in to
> play?  In my mind, it seems that audio mixing is a bit more complex
> than just 1+1=2 math, but then again maybe it is?  This guy thinks so,
> and posted as much.

I have never compared DAWs and carefully listened to the audio to
see if there would be a difference, but there's loads of people
who say there definitely IS a difference. I tend to believe that
is true.

I DID personally hear the fifference between a mix done IN the
box, and output through a stereo channel - and a mix done on an
external mixer, where all the different tracks were routed to the
mixer via separate outputs and mixed together outside the box,
after which the stereo output was recorded.
There was a big difference. De OTB mix was warm and fat, had more
a better separation and was clearer. The ITB mix was definitely
of a lower quality.

On the other hand: if you wouldn't A/B songs this way, who would
hear the difference...?

--

:-)

G e r t   v a n   S a n t e n