New Track - Martini House

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Aug 24 23:55:41 CEST 2009

Gert van Santen schreef:

> Peter Korsten schreef:
>>
>> Be careful when ordering an Orangina at Charles De Gaulle Airport. The
>> staff is deaf and start making a cappuccino instead.
>
> They just can't be bothered to understand any other language than
> native french. ;-)

Yeah well... I did make an effort to talk French, and my accent isn't
that bad, really. But I've come to the conclusion that the French
pronounce 'cappuccino' the same way as 'Orangina', with the stress on
the last syllable, rather than the second-to-last - which is how the
Italians pronounce it, and I would imagine that the Italians know how to
pronounce it, because they invented the frakking stuff. (Sorry, been
watching Battlestar Galactica too much lately.)

Still, there's a world of difference between cappuccino and Orangina,
even if you have a crappy accent, so she must have been put on a program
to let deaf people have meaningful jobs. I suppose the call centre
didn't work out for her, so she ended up at the airport.

I saw her make the cappuccino and was going "pardon, madame, pardon",
which she obviously didn't hear, and when I finally managed to convey
that I really wanted an Orangina, she gave me this dirty look of "why
didn't you say so?"

Now I understand why my French teacher in school suggested that I
dropped the subject...

- Peter