Komplete 5

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Wed Aug 5 23:42:02 CEST 2009

> Ok, well it's an application with a dedicated controller attached,
> you don't need to run a daw. So in the studio as long as you have a
> capable computer I see it as a production box with as much sample
> space as you want and a large external monitor. For me the computer
> component gets rid of the annoying parts of just a hardware unit.

a very interesting take.  the annoying parts of the hardware are those
items it doesn't normally have?  thus, hardware that is not complete
without a laptop.  or, poor hardware.

a display is definitely necessary but i believe the config should be -
press one button and it works.  until software can deliver that, it
will always be inferior to well-designed hardware (Even if it has a
soft core) that delivers single-on operations.

of course, if you always leave your hardware on, and only have to ever
had configured it once to get what you need out of it, thats another
thing.  one thing i don't like about the MPC, however, is how 'deep'
its menus get, and how little of the power is reflected in the
geometry of the physical design.

great that Live has an interface to the physical world; i must admit
that i do quite enjoy the combination of the nano- controllers with my
laptop, once its all plugged in and wired up and so on .. but there is
still the danger of things going TILT.  i like, therefore, to believe
that TILT-less hardware is actually still possible in this day and
age, beyond the general purpose, exclusively into 'you may only rock
it' territory.

/end_of_rant..

;
--