UML + some UI

Jay Vaughan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Apr 10 18:53:28 CEST 2009

> To what extent do you use UML in your coding? (none, planning,
> documenting, codegeneration...)

UML is a reason not to write code.  the only good code is running
code.  its hard to escape that UML is useful, just that it doesn't
really get 'run' on anything other than other people, a very boring
platform.

> Any hints of what to think of when making a program with an
> easy-replacable user interface.

noun->verb paradigm, sort the nouns first, then group all verbs,
associatively into an actions-list, which get turned into GUI events.

> I'm supposed to make a Library DB
> application with the option to add and remove different items, search
> for them with different keys, borrow and return by itemid.
> I'm supposed to do two interfaces, one textbased and one with Qt and
> the
> underlying code should be the same for both. The plan is to make an
> abstract LibInterface, which the other inherits from.
> How would you set up the connection between the app and the UI?

first, forget about your UI for a minute, focus on the abstract nature
of the information you are presenting.  what are they?  why is it good
to know some of these entities?  construct a dictionary of the strata
that is formed as you work over these questions, back and forth a bit.

then, look at the UI.  what do you want to do with those things, in
your dictionary? construct an 'actions' list, of the verbs associated
with the nouns.

sort the actions list/group similar items, dissimilar items, etc.
construct two or three views of the primary actions, and go as 'deep'
into the not-so-primary actions as you need.  draw a picture, use the
GUI framework provided to construct these views, associate the views
with your dictionary-as-functions, verbs-as-arguments collection of
code.

;
--
Jay Vaughan