UML + some UI

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Apr 10 18:11:15 CEST 2009

Hi Micke

Mikael Hansson wrote:
> Just a small inquiry to our coders:

Guess that means me. But then, I'm an academic, so that probably doesn't
really count... ;-)

> To what extent do you use UML in your coding? (none, planning,
> documenting, codegeneration...)

None - I've always done smaller projects (research prototypes...) that
didn't need that level of planning.

> Any hints of what to think of when making a program with an
> easy-replacable user interface. I'm supposed to make a Library DB

Check out the model-view-controller pattern. Essentially, it's about
separation of data vs. display vs. modification code. Each of these
fields get their own set of classes.

> I'm supposed to do two interfaces, one textbased and one with Qt and the
> underlying code should be the same for both. The plan is to make an
> abstract LibInterface, which the other inherits from.

Not quite sure where inheritance comes into the play. You'll want to
create a database class (or set of classes) that publish the interface
to modify/query etc. the data. That interface is *used* by your UI
classes, not inherited.

You might want to take care to seperate out the interface to the db from
its actual implementation, but that's not really the topic of this
exercise as I understand it...

Martin

--
http://www.navisto.ch