2 Sequencers (was: Live Suite Dilemma)

Tony Scharf EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Apr 5 15:47:59 CEST 2009

I am a sequencer whore. I currently use Live, FruiyLoops, very
occasionally reason, and the sequencer on my Korg M3 for writing
tracks.  Lately, its been the M3 thats been my favorite..

I find each has its place depending on what I am doing.  FL studio is
great when I am starting with rhythms and building up noise loops.
MIDI editing in live (have not tried 8 yet) has never been
particularly great so tracks that take a lot of that kind of work are
usually going to be start to finish in cubase, or start in the M3.
Live is the best when I am working exclusively with software
synthesizers.  It seems that as soon as I mix hardware and software,
mixing MIDI and audio (particularly clock) Live starts to falter.

Other members of my band use Acid and Renoise.  To make things simple,
Ive got those on here too, though I would never start my own projects
in either (particularly renoise - it gives me a headache).

Oh, and I forgot I use the sequencers on my Korg EMX1 and ESX1 a lot
(yes, in song mode).  I actually have a few tracks that were almost
totally completed with that pair.

The dominant tools lately, however, are certainly the M3 sequencer and
Live worked together.  I write the start track all in hardware on the
M3 sequencer using Live as my mixer.   I track it all down to audio,
and then bring in the softies (if needed).  At that point, depending
on the complexity of the project, I may dump all he audio tracks over
to cubase for final mixing.  I cant put my finger on why, but for more
complicated mixes, the cubase mixer just seems to work out better for
me.

I tried for a long time to find end-all-be-all sequencer and DAW.  For
me, the search was a big waste of time.  Using multiple products, each
best at the tasks I use them for works out much better for me than any
all in one solution.

Tony