I got a son today

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sat Apr 4 01:26:50 CEST 2009

komatos schreef:

> Congrats Soren and Anne!  Hope all works out well ok.  Please be
> careful when you're down in Lagos for a few months acclimatizing
> yourselves to him.  Some parts of Africa are not the safest place to
> be for Europeans/Americans, if you know what I mean.  I don't believe
> Nigeria's going through any civil wars, but neighboring countries, who

Um... not a full-out war, no. But you've got a point, Nigeria is going
through some turmoil at the moment.

> knows.  Make sure when the child grows up he receives a well rounded
> understanding of his native culture, and the new culture he's soon
> becoming a part of.  Nothing as beautiful as truly world traveled &
> informed children.

Interestingly enough, we have a Nigerian colleague since a couple of
months. His first name is Michael, and his last name... let's just say
it's even more complex than that of our former Hungarian colleague of
Slovakian descent. It has a capital in the middle, for one thing.

When he came here, he had absolutely nothing, just the clothes on his
body. Not even bedsheets: he had to sell everything to get here.

So apart from everything else, you're doing your kid a huge favour by
giving him a headstart in life.

- Peter