Samplers are dead(?)

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Sep 28 15:00:20 CEST 2008

punkdISCO schreef:

> But anyway, I just think its strange and probably very unique how a
> complete generation of musical instrument can become obsolete, with no
> chance of every regaining any favour or popularity.

It's probably also to do with the fact that samplers (before they got
out of fashion) were practically exclusively rack units, and I'm under
the impression that rack units are even more under threat from computers
than keyboards are. Plus, as mentioned, the huge memory and disc
requirements that are cheaper to implement on a general-purpose computer
than on a bespoke hardware unit.

- Peter