Back When Synths Were Beautiful

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Mon Sep 22 21:31:47 CEST 2008

Jay Vaughan schreef:

>> Just to make sure, a DX5 is like the Big Mac version of the DX7,
>> with a
>> better (or at least bigger) keyboard, but without the space shuttle
>> controls of the DX1?
>
> No, the DX5 is a DX1 without the major panel work - just the
> horrendous FM-era menu and operator-select buttons and not much else.

Hmm, I thought that's what I said, and it's more or less what Vintage
Synth Explorer says, but hey. :)

I've always wondered what the ultimate *hardware* FM synth is... I think
your vote would be for the TX-816, or perhaps the FS1r after all?

> I've gone off Yamaha completely since the AWM2 era failed to cease.

Too bad they never continued on FDSP. It's quite an interesting
enhancement of AWM2, although I have trouble hearing the difference with
a normal effects processor. Perhaps that's why it quietly disappeared?

- Peter