New Mix

Martin Naef EMAIL HIDDEN
Sun Oct 26 18:27:26 CET 2008

Joost Schuttelaar wrote:
> On Oct 26, 2008, at 0:22 , Martin Naef wrote:
>> http://www.navisto.ch/tracks/DLD-21-10-08.mp3
>
> Vocals sound great this way! I think the reason the guitars sound weak
> is not necessarily in the guitars, but where did the kick and snare
> go? Very often they are actually the ones who give power to the rhythm
> guitar. The snare is audible (but very very thin) but the kick is
> almost inaudible here.

Good observation. Yes, the kick doesn't have as much power as it could,
and is definitely worth a revisit to push it further. There is already
quite a bit of attack shaping going on, and I also duck the bass for the
kick, but I should have gone a bit further. M@: Any chance you can send
me the MIDI data for the drums so I can play around with different
sounds from the TD10 without the use of audio-to-midi trigger tricks?

> The bass guitar seems more up front than the rhythm guitar, I think
> that can be toned down a bit in the region of about 150hz. Perhaps

Might do, but if I lower that region, it might disappear from systems
without bass extension. But worth a try.

> give the guitar a little little little bit of extra space by lowering
> the vocals with about 2db? The ducking is a good idea.

2db might be too much already.

> Anyway, it sounds quite smooth! It's a proper mix, and these are all
> artistic points.

Thanks. I should mention in public that it's *very satisfying* to work
on that mix. I've done others where I had to work around imperfections,
whereas here I can really polish what's good already. A good example
that the "fix it in the mix" approach isn't the one to take.

Martin