'Net filters "required" for all Australians, no opt-out

Peter Korsten EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 17 15:48:42 CEST 2008

Joost Schuttelaar schreef:

> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081016-net-filters-required-for-all-australians-no-opt-out.html

Hmm:

	"Illegal" is a broad definition, [...]

Actually, "illegal" is a very clear definition, and it means "against
the law". It's also clear what the law is, so I'm taking this opinion
with a grain of salt.

But really, it's a miracle that it has taken this long (apart from the
less democratic regimes, of course). Someone I know, who at the time was
the FreeBSD security officer, said that this was inevitable. And this
was over ten years ago.

The issue is that this is proactive law enforcement, rather then
retroactive. And even that can be defended, because even though
downloading music and films is fun and cheap, it *is* illegal. Whether
you agree with the law is irrelevant: their are well established ways to
challenge or change laws, even though they are not easy.

But the really big, unanswered question is: what entity is going to
decide what is filtered and what not? Who is going to audit this entity?
Those are the questions that would most concern me.

- Peter