New track

Gorman, Declan EMAIL HIDDEN
Fri Oct 3 15:14:00 CEST 2008

Cool, thanks for the info Micke.

Regards,

Declan.

-----Original Message-----
From: music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org [mailto:music-bar-bounces at lists.music-bar.org] On Behalf Of Mikael Hansson
Sent: 03 October 2008 12:36
To: Music-bar
Subject: Re: New track

Gorman, Declan wrote:
> Hey Micke,
>   I really like the track man.  I have a few questions for you. :¬)
>   Anyway, your music would be hard to classify and I know that people don't like to pidgeon hole their music but how would you classify it?

Thanks Declan!

I think I would describe as some sort of mix between early
synth/electrogoth/industrial, well in essential a mix of my influences.

>   How do you approach a track? Do you have a plan when writing a track or does it just evolve from your ideas?

No plan in the beginning. I start with an 8-bar loop which usually gets
around 4-5 sounds layered (it's not uncommon that this first part don't
end up in the finished track). Then thinks about what would be the next
step, usually concentrating on the bass. Then I make about 4-5 8-bar
loops that would fit together and add sounds to them.

Next step is arranging the bits in a compelling order. Loops that
initially were considered as refrain can in this process end up as verse
or v.v. I try a lot of different approaches usually over the course of a
few days, sometimes weeks. This is intertwined with me adding some new
sounds or totally new parts.

When I have the basic structure almost nailed I start thinking about the
drums (which up to this mostly consists of a single 1-bar loop).

Lastly I start with the mixing process (although I nowadays are quite
conscious about what sounds I use so it usually sounds quite good even
before I look at the EQ, compressing etc.)

Another important part of my songwriting is that I try out many ideas. I
think I start up at least 50 8-bar ideas per year. Sometimes they become
a full track quite fast, others are revisited months later and then turn
into a track but most are just abandoned.

>   What made you choose Dead Men Gods?  An artist name is a personal thing so I wouldn't like to comment.

I haven't been totally satisfied with 'Reactor Control' so I have been
thinking about a new name for some months.

'Dead Men Gods' comes from the lyrics to one of my latest tracks, 'Desert'.

Why? It sounds good to me, it's easy to remember (and no problem to
figure out the webadress), it's starts with D, which is early in the
alphabet and the .com wasn't taken (but now it is :) ).

/Micke